H.C. Chambers & Son Ltd was founded in 1877. In addition to operating horse drawn buses and carts, a thriving livery stable and saddlery business was operated.
Chambers purchased their first motorised bus in 1918. This bus had an interesting history having previously been used as an ambulance in France during the First World War. Following the end of the First World War and with the advent of motorised buses, they increased frequency of services to twice weekly to both Sudbury and Colchester.
Between the Wars, bus services were increased to operate to such places as Halstead and Haverhill. Alongside this, the company made further expansions to serve the general haulage, farming and coal markets.
The period from the end of the Second World War, up until early Sixties, saw the farming, general haulage and coal merchants work gradually disappear, whilst the operation of buses and coaches increased. From the early Seventies the bus services were concentrated on the Bury St Edmunds to Colchester service, which is one of the longest bus routes operated in the UK.
Modern day services include the Colchester via Bures to Bury St Edmunds, Sudbury via Nayland to Colchester and Clare to Bury St Edmunds.
Since the introduction of motorised buses, the bus and coach fleet has progressed from the open top charabancs of the 1920s, to today’s air-conditioned touring coaches (fitted with every comfort) and modern, low floor, easily accessible Double Deck Buses and Minibuses.
Chambers (as its known locally) was an independent bus and coach operator based in the village. On May 28th 2012, it was announced that Chambers had been acquired by Go-Ahead Group, this making them the fourth East Anglian independent bus company to become part of Go Ahead Group, after Konectbus, Anglian Bus and Hedingham Omnibuses. The Chambers depot in Bures was not part of the deal and the company now operates from Hedingham's Sudbury depot in Chilton Industrial Estate.